Today while I went up to Hill AFB to do a fitness test the staff came in and announced that Nicki's hematocrit level was down to 18!! No wonder she's been feeling so completely and utterly exhausted. So, after I got back--around 2:00pm they came in with two pints of blood and a big smile. Looking at those red blood cells--it was pretty amazing to think that somebody, out of the goodness of their heart, had donated blood so that Nicki could get replenished. What a blessing blood is. Later today, after the transfusion, Nicki and I went on a wheel-walk out to the patio and just talked a bit about how miraculous blood is. What an amazing invention by the Master Organizer. Blood. That substance that cleanses, energizes, oxygenates, purifies, vitalizes, nourishes...and who knows how many other functions. It was amazing just to see how much more energy Nicki had after getting that blood. A couple days ago we walked around and she talked about how her legs felt like led! Today she was practically floating around the patio as we did several laps together. It was great to see her with more energy, and great to see her feeling a bit better.
Speaking of blood, the bleeding continues--as do some mild contractions. Through all of it the baby's heartbeat remains strong and vibrant. She is also very elusive for certain nurses. It's almost like there are times when she just doesn't want to be found on the monitor. We wonder if this is indicative of what her personality will be like. Hmmmmm, we shall see.
4 comments:
YeaH! I'm so happy that you are feeling better. And those iron supplements couln't not be good for an O'Brien for too long. Can I call you tomorrow?
I meant couldn't be good.
I agree that blood is an amazing thing. Transfusions, as well as plasma boosters, sure made all the difference with Kimble. So glad you have more energy now!
We are praying for you guys! The things we do for our little ones! love ya!
Post a Comment