Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Happy 28 Week (and change) Annie-Versary!








The day after our anniversary (August 16th) and we had quite a surprise today that we need to tell you all about. Last night (16th) after several hours of severe contractions and pain Nicki had the doctor come in to see what was going on. Around 2Am the doc (resident) came in and checked things out, only to discover that things didn't appear to be progressing very far. Well, this is typical for Nicki's labor experiences; she lives in the quick-labor camp and it seems we always have to convince the medical staff that's the case. Anyway, Nicki let him know that she had the feeling that things were progressing (her legs were starting to shake and that's a sign...), so he said he'd come back. Before he could, however, the nurses were in and wheeling us over to labor and delivery. Somehow this trip to labor and delivery felt a little different. Perhaps this time we'd leave L&D a little lighter.... I have to back up and say that last night around 9pm Nicki had the thought that we ought to do another tour of the NICU just for kicks. The nurse that took us around said she "didn't want to overwhelm us" so she gave us the shortened tour (we had the long tour the second day we got to the hospital last month). In part of the tour she showed us a NICU bed ($50,000 per bed) that was all ready to receive the next premie and she said something to the effect of "here's a bed ready for the next baby we get!" Later she guessed she wouldn't see us until week 35. Hmmmm.

Back to last night's fun. We get into L&D and some more docs come to check the progress of things. I could have forecasted their expressions and comments prior to their checking because it happens almost every time after Nicki begins labor. "Oh, oh my, oh wow, the baby's 60% out!" And she was breech. No time or means for a C-Section now. The attending doc made the decision to do a vaginal breech delivery and off we raced. I had donned scrubs earlier and felt somewhat nervous--yet deeply peaceful, like all would be OK, as we raced to the Operating Room. Once in the room there was a resident anesthesiologist talking to me about how if they end up having to do a c-section he'll put her out and I'll have to go into the waiting room. That didn't seem right from my end, but we didn't end up needing him anyway! Literally minutes later Nicki was pushing and all the nurses and docs were cheering her on. I held the back of her head in my hands and tried to provide support and presence the best I could. Still the peace remained. Soon we saw a little bum and a folded body...the baby emerged with the head coming out last. As she came out I saw her little face and those eyes were as wide as can be! They looked as big as Nicki's eyes and they were searching the room as if to say, "What am I doing in here?" It was just a brief moment, but I felt a connection with her. Something about eyes. Speaking about eyes, later this morning as we were talking to the kids about everything the first comments/questions from the kids were "tell us about the eyes! What color are they? How long did Ruby's eyes stay open when she was born? What color were Ruby's eyes?" There's something about a person's eyes that reveal their person-ness. We communicate through our eyes, even before words can form on our 28-week old lips. I felt communication from Annie as she reached out with her eyes.

From the eye place they soon grabbed her and whisked her through the window separating the OR from the NICU--this in itself is an amazing and blessed thing. It all happened so fast! And, just like that Annie was born. 2 lb 11 oz dripping wet, except she wasn't dripping when she was born! In fact, there was NO amniotic fluid encasing her at all when she was born. There was a massive, bloody, clot-infested placenta but no water. So, she wasn't dripping. As the morning progressed we were finally able to go back and see little Annie in her 50K "ride" and get a real good look at the miracle. According to the Neonatologist a miracle did happen. He came up to us after rounds in the NICU and just said "we are WAY ahead of the game here! Your baby here is in the top of the very top percent of babies to be doing so well at this gestational age." He went on, but ultimately told us they would be weening her off the ventilator because her lungs are doing so well. Most babies without amniotic fluid like that have severe lung problems. We thank the Lord for this miracle. So, tonight Annie IS off the vent and is on C-pap nasal breath support and is doing great. She is quite bruised on her little bum because of choosing to come out backwards (I guess we won't need to spank her now for scaring us so much over the last 28 weeks). So, with the bruising etc they are proactively treating her for jaundice. She lives in a $50K tanning bed and wears eye shades for fun.

Tonight Nicki and I are two grateful--and emotional--parents. This afternoon Mom and Dad Williams were here and dad helped me give Annie a blessing. As we placed our hands on the glass case of her house I felt the most amazing and grateful feeling for this amazing miracle. Thank you so much for all of your prayers, fasting, faith, love, support and encouragement. To quote the Neonatologist, we are not out of the woods yet. The NICU is a roller-coaster ride and may yet present some sticky situations. But, for now we are basking in the amazing miracles of today. Happy August 17th, 2011--it's the day after our 11th anniversary and it's our Annie-versary. Love to all. Enjoy some pics as I continue to post them.

17 comments:

Elise said...

Congrats on your Annie-Versary!!! She is precious!!! So many memories of our little Matt's birth flood through my mind while reading your post. I will be praying for Annie's and Nicki's quick recovery.

racerm said...

Congratulations you guys! She also picked a good day to born, if not on your anniversary that why not on mine and Heidi's. Good luck and give everyone our love. Chad

Shaina said...

I'm glad things went so "smoothly", as far as emergency birthing! The NICU is an emotional place to be linked to. I completely understand your feelings and struggles right now. Please call if you need advice or want to complain or a shoulder (through the phone) to cry on. Love you guys.

Kristen said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. We'll keep praying for you guys. Love you!

Heidi said...

Congrats she is so precious. Congrats on no csection to. You are an amazing person nick. If you need anything feel free to call anytime. We luv you guys give little annie a squeeze through the glass for me. And hugs for everyone else.

halls said...

Annie is such a little doll! Almost 4 years ago my little Korbin had to spend the first 10 days of his life in the NICU, it's amazing how much they can do for little ones. Good luck to you guys, sure will keep your cute family in our prayers!

Fabulous Featherette said...

We are happy for you! Tiny Annie is a tough cookie and a fighter. Heavenly Father has indeed blessed you with a miracle! We love you and continue to keep Nicki and Annie in our prayers.

Emily said...

I'm in tears reading this. She is beautiful. Congratulations!

Karen said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!!! That is quite the story. I'm so glad that little Annie is doing so well. We will continue praying for you guys.

Homes by Cathy said...

It is amazing how big those diapers look. I can't even fathom it nine years later. Aspen was 2lbs 9 oz at her smallest yet she is a healthy beautiful 9 year old now so here is to remembering the miracle and forgetting the horror down the road. Congrats you guys she is beautiful.

Nicki, believe me as much as you wanted to be out of the hospital now you will just want to stay. After Aspen was born I had lived there for two months and had to leave. Unfortunately I had a csection so I couldn't drive so I just wanted to stay so I could stare at my little miracle.

Here's to a very speedy recovery for your little miracle. Love you guys. Cathy halvorsen

Natalie and Ryan said...

Wow! Congratulations! I am so happy for both of you. Good to hear that Annie is doing better than the average her weight and stage of life. I hope you can return home soon Nicki. Let us know how we can help,

Emily said...

Oh, she is so tiny and sweet. Those incubator pics are such a familiar sight. I'm so glad to hear that her lungs are so healthy and 2'11" is an awesome weight for 28 weeks! I will be watching her progress and rooting for her every step of the way!

Tasha said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!!! I saw your post of my phone on Facebook that your sweet Annie was born! So I had to get myself out of my favorite spot lately: BED, to get to the computer so I could see this little miracle! What a beauty she is! With so much hair already! Her birth weight is great too, for 28 weeks! So what a blessing! What a long road this has been thus far, but the journey is going well and we will keep praying that the journey will keep going well for you all! Congratulations and lots of hugs and kisses to you all! We'll be praying hard for your little Annie! Love you so much!

Macey said...

Wow, congrats on your new arrival, and I wish you all the best these next few months.

Honeycombs said...

We love our little Annie and can't believe how little a 2 lbs 11 oz is. I wish so bad I was there and could watch your other four kids so you didn't have to worry about them...but I guess they get the next best care after Aunt Jamie, Mom and Dad will do a fine job! WE LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Abi said...

Thank you Ryan for the post! Very well written too. :) We sure love you guys and look forward to meeting little Annie someday!

ashlee said...

Oh, sweet little Annie! She is so precious! When I heard that she didn't have very much hair, I pictured her being bald but she has a ton of hair and she is so pretty. I can't wait to meet her.