Today things went great for Annie. She has been weened from the ventilator and will actually be taken off the c-pap tonight around 11pm. This is exciting news, and amazing news. There has been some concern about the air being pumped into the stomach from the c-pap (this is a side effect of the c-pap function and happens because the O2 sometimes goes down the esophagus instead of the trachea). So far she has been doing such a great job with her own breathing efforts that the staff (the neonatologist in particular) feels she's ready for the big step tonight.
Annie was also introduced to breast milk today and took it like a champ. Several hours later she had a brown skid-mark in her diaper, so...systems are a go! She's still under the billiruben lights to help the jaundice, and that will most likely continue for a few more days. The nurse was hearing a slight heart murmur today which signifies that the PDA valve is not quite closed. This is normal for premies, and the hope is that it will seal on its own as Annie continues to grow.
With all that is going on with Lucy's bike accident my parents went back home to Provo yesterday afternoon and Nicki's mom and dad arrived last night. We are so grateful for the wonderful family help through all of this experience--couldn't have done it without that!
7 comments:
The way you were losing blood, I figure she would have to come early, so you can get on the mend. The next phase won't be easy, but just remember she is in great care! They told me girls tend to do better, so hopefully she'll stay that way, that she won't have to go back on the ventilator. Amy hated the ventilator the 2nd time so she pulled it out!! LOL She was my fighter. She wasn't a big eater, so she took her time gaining. They send her home at 4lbs figure she'll do alot better being at home and sure enough they were right! She was eating better. I was told the incubater is like her still inside a womb, but this time you get to see her face to face and let her hear your sweet voice. Also enjoy skin to skin with her while she is this small, coz that is really what I missed the most. Skin to skin I would quietly sing Child of God song. Before you know it she'll be a senior in high school. Time does fly by. Hang in there for the next couple of months or sooner. Miracles do happen. Best wishes to you and take care of yourself. Love ya, Tara
So, it is 11 pm- anxious to hear if this amazing miracle of only one day per breathing assistant really happened!
Dad W
She is a beautiful little miracle. This is kinda weird but she weighs the same as my little girl when she was born and I also spent my 11th anniversary in the hospital with her. Its so hard to leave the hospital before your baby but you are the most perfect person I know and the Lord is blessing you every day. I cant beleive how good she is doing, being that early. She will home before you know it :)
She is just beautiful and our prayers are there for you and Annie. You are amazing and are so strong. Take care
Having the PDA open kept Kimble alive until his first heart surgery, so that's not such a bad thing to have! If I were you though, I would ask for a pulse-ox test. It's free and painless, and measures the oxygen saturation. I think this is a test that all newborns should have.
Best of luck with the cpap escape! Kimble hated his.
Nicki and Ryan, Kelly and I have had you in our prayers. We love and miss you here in California but we are sending lots of prayers your way, I know from having both my boys in the NICU that this is not the start that we want but I know that Heavenly Father will be with you Annie...Lots of Prayers the Weavers
Yay Annie! Wonderful to be off the c pap and on to milk. The neonatologists always used that phrase with us tOo-- you're not out of the woods yet! Whenever we started getting too excited. ;-). Hang in there guys. How s the juggle between home and hospital going? Biz it easier with the other kids in school? How are you feeling Nicki?
Post a Comment