Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Inevitable!

We sent Ryan to the deep blue yesterday. He was all loaded up with new uniforms, socks, and running shoes and ready for the warm weather of down south. I don't know how he gets so lucky to attend all of these trainings in the middle of the hottest time of year. It was a hard goodbye but in a lot of ways it's so great to be starting this. We've been on this path for over 1 1/2 years but have just been treading water it seems. So now, we've officially begun the process to becoming a Chaplain. I sound like I'm the one in the training. . .I do like to think that it's as hard for me as it is for him:)
After the airport, and all of our crying, we headed over to the discovery museum to forget about our troubles. The kids had a really good time and luckily we all made it through the day. Elsie was especially worried about me when I was crying at the goodbye. She kept giving me kisses and asking if I was happy now. She's got such a tender heart so I felt like I needed to dry my tears fast--that was a blessing.
Well, we are all plugging away and have one day under our belts. Ryan left a jar of kisses for the kids to eat when they needed a kiss from daddy. Caleb has single-handedly eaten most of them. He knows that he's got mom right where he wants her for now. How do you tell a little boy he can't have any more kisses from his dad?!

13 comments:

Bob said...

Aaawwww.....so wait, back up, where did Ryan go and for how long? It's so hard to say goodbye. But you all look so good and so happy, it must be right! :-)
Take Care,
Melissa & Bob

Emily said...

Hi nicki, I hope you don't mind me blog hopping. I was looking at my cousins site and found yours. What a cute family that you have. I would really like it, if you would like to visit our site. www.munnionsprouts.blogspot.com Emily

Shaina said...

Heath said he called and talked to Ryan a few days ago. Even though we're not all together anymore, we will miss him too.

Good luck with the summer. Hopefully Idaho will be fun for you. You'll have to sneak back down in August so we can see eachother!!

Ande said...

The kissed idea is a really cute one. How long is the school that he is going to? Where in the South? I bet you don't know where you will be stationed? I am sure that he will do a great job. Hope that all goes well.

Elise said...

I love the kisses in the jar idea! How cute! How long is Ryan gone for?

ashlee said...

That totally made me tear up. What a clever little boy you have. I wish I would have been that smart when I was trying to get candy. I was never that sneaky :-)

Emily said...

Kara wil be 8 in June, Kate will be 6 in June, William will be 2 in august and Carly is 4 months today. Are you going to be in Idaho this summer. We will be there at my moms in July for the 4th. maybe we will see you there. Emily

Rayna said...

Looks like you forgot to mention how long Ryan would be gone? Hope all goes well for ya!
yeah, we'll be doing the no diaper thing real soon, June-July is the goal!

I'm Always Rite said...

Well, I know how long Ryan will be gone and I know he has company. ;) Ian said he'll keep an eye out for him, but he's discouraged from "fraternizing" since Ryan's already officially commissioned and Ian won't be official until August. :] Anyway, hopefully they'll get to meet up at church. If you talk to Ryan, tell him Ian is going to the ward that's a little further away from base. You're in my prayers! I feel closer to you knowing the guys are in the same place. :)

Karen said...

I love the kissed idea, that is so cute! What a smart little boy you have! How long is Ryan gone for? Good luck with everything =).

tasha said...

Reading your blog just makes me miss you and your family so much! My prayers are with you while Ryan's gone. Call me whenever you want to vent, I'm a good listener! Love you! ~Tash

Sara said...

Oh, this sounds hard - you are doing such a great job, Nicki. And the kiss in a jar is such a great idea.

Chin up :)

audra garrett said...

Hi Nicki! I just found your blog! That's awesome that your husband will be a chaplain! My husband thought about it at one point! The military needs them!!! We are still in the army and at Ft. Bragg, NC. Do you know where you're going after Utah? Hope your doing great! It's fun to see your cute family!