Well we went to the annual Chaplain's Conference held in Salt Lake in conjunction with the General Conference Sessions for our church. It was sooo cool. It made me want to get these two years out of the way so Ryan can really serve as a Chaplain for the Air Force. I'm all fired up and now have no where to go but to hang out for two years here at home. . . We had a dinner on Friday night, got tickets to all sessions of Conference, then had training Monday and Tuesday all day. I had the worst headache from all that I learned. It was really cool. As part of it, on Monday they had a special luncheon for the spouses with Sister Julie Beck, the General Relief Society President. She had an open question and answer session for all of us. As soon as I heard that she was taking questions, I had a question I knew I wanted to ask her. Well, what I wanted to ask and what I ended up asking were two different things. I got so nervous and cried the whole way through so she couldn't even understand me. It was pretty embarrasing but good for me. It seems like I eat a big slice of humble pie often in my life:). I wanted to ask how she has unified women from all over the world with such different backgrounds and how as Chaplain spouses we could apply that to unifying women of different religious, family, and economic backgrounds. Well, it turned into a debate about rank in the military. . . Any suggestions from any of you because I didn't get much from my pathetically emotional question?
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Future. . .
Well we went to the annual Chaplain's Conference held in Salt Lake in conjunction with the General Conference Sessions for our church. It was sooo cool. It made me want to get these two years out of the way so Ryan can really serve as a Chaplain for the Air Force. I'm all fired up and now have no where to go but to hang out for two years here at home. . . We had a dinner on Friday night, got tickets to all sessions of Conference, then had training Monday and Tuesday all day. I had the worst headache from all that I learned. It was really cool. As part of it, on Monday they had a special luncheon for the spouses with Sister Julie Beck, the General Relief Society President. She had an open question and answer session for all of us. As soon as I heard that she was taking questions, I had a question I knew I wanted to ask her. Well, what I wanted to ask and what I ended up asking were two different things. I got so nervous and cried the whole way through so she couldn't even understand me. It was pretty embarrasing but good for me. It seems like I eat a big slice of humble pie often in my life:). I wanted to ask how she has unified women from all over the world with such different backgrounds and how as Chaplain spouses we could apply that to unifying women of different religious, family, and economic backgrounds. Well, it turned into a debate about rank in the military. . . Any suggestions from any of you because I didn't get much from my pathetically emotional question?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow, that's too bad! So sorry it didn't turn out the way you had planned it. Don't we always role play something in our head and it never happens that way!
I don't know if this helps but just reminding everyone that we are all women, mothers, daughters, etc..should unite us. We are all the same, dealing with problems at home not always sure how to handle them. We don't know what the next person is going through.
There's always Hillary Clinton's "It takes a village" view.
Sorry that happened. I agree with Raychel, we are all sisters and brothers. --Did you by chance meet the Bowen's? He was the Chaplian when Tom was in tech school. They are such a sweet family.
Hey! I check your blog every once in a while! You guys look great! We are at Ft. Bragg and I've never met a chaplain, but I did meet one chaplains wife at a park, she was helping some methodist home schooling group there, anyway, you'll be inspired how you can help when the time comes! You're so sweet and friendly, that might be what some of the people need! It seems they are always helping struggling soldiers and families, so be prepared for that! Good Luck!
Are you sure you didn't end up asking the best question?:) Just how darling you are unites people:). Congrats on getting to talk to Sister Beck. She's my hero-- besides you, of course. Love Steph
We all have those moments huh. You guys look so good. Remember these times. Sounds like amidst the embarrassing moments ;) you are so blessed right now. We are talking about coming to Utah sometime next year. Maybe we'll see you!
My suggestion to you Nicki--just be yourself! You can't be any sweeter and accepting than you already are! You always made me feel like such a special and important friend and person. Feeling important makes people more confident which in turn will make someone more willing to help others and become more unified.
Love ya! Melissa
What you aren't supposed to cry when you stand in front of the microphone...you are already teaching so many wonderful lessons. I think I did that the whole time I was up giving a talk. I think they managed to hear, "I was asked to talk about prayer..." You are awesome and I love you and everyone else does too.
Oh Nick! what a shame. I was just re-reading President Eyring's talk from Conference ("Hearts Knit as One") and there's a great line in there..."Children of God have more in common than they have differences. And even the differences can be seen as an opportunity. God will help us see a difference in someone else not as a source of irritation but as a contribution." Anyway, its a great talk about unity.
I love your blog Nicki and I'm so impressed you are doin git. love ya
Rach
Post a Comment